May 19, 2010

Recipe: Turkey & Mushroom Stroganoff

1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown ground turkey and onion in olive oil over medium-high heat. Drain off fat. Add seasonings, soup and milk. Cook over medium heat about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add sour cream and heat through. Serve over cooked egg noodles.
******
A couple of weeks ago, I invited the parental units (aka - my parents) down the the 'Nati for dinner and I pulled a fast one on my Dad - I got him to eat ground turkey! Now I come from a meat and potatoes kind of family, and my Dad's favorite food is pizza. So, knowing that, you can imagine the surprise in my Dad's eyes when I told him I made the stroganoff with ground turkey, instead of the traditional ground beef. Despite his hesitation, I think he liked it. However, I did notice that sometimes he was pushing the turkey off to the side of the plate, eating only the noodles & mushrooms. (Though he claimed it was because I loaded the plate too full with the toppings - but I'm not convinced on that!)

Either way, I thought this was a great recipe to add to the mix and wanted to share it with you. It tasted great with the ground turkey, and I know it would be just a good with ground beef - if that is your families preference!

No comments: