January 20, 2009

Eat this, not that!

I recently browsed through what I think is a great new book regarding good food choices when you eat at Fast Food joints and stroll through the isles at the grocery store.

Eat this, not that! by David Zinczenko, editor in chief of Men's Health magazine, is a practical book that helps readers make better selections when it comes to food choices. The book is based on a popular column that appears in the magazine and is filled with nutritional information and suggestions. I think this
USA Today article is a great review of the book.

I was very surprised to read some of the better choices we all should make when it comes to fast food restaurants. For example, if you car drives you through the big Yellow arches, aka McDonald's, it's better to eat a Quarter Pounder sandwich (no cheese) has 410 calories, vs. the Premium Grilled Chicken Club, which has 570 calories. Another smart choice I found surprising was it's better to eat a Ham, Egg and Cheese English Muffin sandwich from Dunkin' Donuts (310 calories) vs. a Multigrain Bagel with Light Cream Cheese (500 calories).

If this topic interests you, I'd definitely recommend checking out Eat this, not that!. I'd say it's worth purchasing b/c it would be a great reference book to through in our purse for grocery shopping trips or dinners out at the featured restaurants.

------------
On a side note: some have commented about the my most recent post (the Banana's Foster French Toast) being posted right after my new running/jogging training program. Believe me, I got a good laugh too, but hey, isn't most of why we exercise, to be able to indulge in sweets every now and then!?!?! Also, I am in Week 2 of the training for the Couch to 5k program, and it has gotten harder to stay motivated. Week 2 only adds on 30 seconds more of jogging, but I've found during Runs 1 and 2, I'm much more winded and feeling more tired versus when comparing it to those runs during Week 1. I'm pushing through though and am still excited about completing Week 2 this week!

2 comments:

Denae said...

Have you read 'Skinny Bitch?' I haven't yet but I guess it is also about food choices and the lifestyle of eating well.

Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It said...

There's also a ETNT for Kids and y Boyfriend is Making Me Fat, which is a small pocket read.

Like any book, I'd check these and skinny bitch out @ your library!