March 20, 2010

Tasty Kitchen's Mushroom Soup

When I found this recipe, I knew that I'd soon be rushing out to the store to pick up the ingredients. Anyone who knows me really well knows my love for mushrooms runs deep, I mean deep - like if I weren't already married, I might marry mushrooms (well, not really, but you get what I'm saying!) After a quick trip to the store, I turned on some music (Iron & Wine's latest CD for those who are interested) and spent the afternoon whipping up this delicious soup.

Here's my take on The Mushroom Soup - definitely check out the link for the ingredient list & detailed cooking directions. I really enjoyed this dish and cooked it just like the recipe recommends. However I will make a few changes for the next time I make this soup - I'll note my changes/additions under each photo of the cooking process...

Finley chopped carrots, celery and slice mushrooms (I ended up doubling the amount of mushrooms shown in this photo.)

White wine, chicken broth, tomato juice, heavy whipping cream, shredded parmesan cheese

Saute carrots & celery together (next time I'll throw in some garlic). Then add mushrooms and cook for several minutes - this is when it starts to smelling delicious...
Add white wine and cook mixture together for a few more minutes. (I used Pinot Grigo because that's what I like to drink, but the recipe calls for Chablis White Wine). (At this point, I added a spoon full of tomato paste to thicken things up.)


Mix in tomato juice, cooking for a bit, then add in the heavy cream. (Next time, I'll use much less cream here - it calls for a pint, which I thought was way too much.) Add in the parmesan cheese after the liquids have cooked together (this is another thing I'll change for next time - I think you can reduce the cheese by half and still add great flavor.)

Ta-Dahhh...the finished product! I toasted up a loaf of french bread for dunking and it was delicious. If you are a mushroom lover, then this soup is right up your alley.

No comments: